GreaterPlaces is an award-winning website, forthcoming mobile app and consulting firm.
The demand for smart city + emerging transportation is growing, even as cities, suburbs & towns invest more in walkable, bikeable and sustainable design. To make the best of both, here is what we do for cities and towns:
- Help building out your Smart Cities + New Mobility practice area – create a service catalog, RfP/RfQ language, internal training, and marketing. This includes planning for driverless & shared use, auditing codes & plans, integrating smart cities into existing plans, and sidewalk/curb design for increased demands in the public realm from shared use.
- Mobility hubs – new models for transit oriented development, flexible buildings, and all modes of transit – including active, transit, shared & driverless for cities and sub/exurban retrofit (hat tip Sarah Lewis).
- Civic engagement & the best in Best Practices – Planetizen named GreaterPlaces a Top 10 resource this year based on our creative games, method cards and new ways of communicating best practices. I bring game design & hacking as well as a strong track record in building social media portfolios.
- Facilitation – You will need a strong, knowledgeable facilitator to help clients lead public discussions on technology portfolios that meet local needs and values, particularly in small towns and suburbs.
- Mobile app – mobile app (about 60% there) with news, a portable “textbook,” and in-app tools (including augmented reality). The expected launch – at the May American Planning Assn conference in NYC (sign up to get notified).
- Connections – I am on the American Planning Association’s Smart Cities Task Force and taking a leading role building content for planners on smart cities. I have a large network with tech companies and smart city startups. Your name will be associated with this leading work on putting the smart in smart cities.
About Lisa Nisenson
I have almost 20 years of experience as a planner in many roles: citizen activist, federal policy analyst, local planner, consultant and director of a non-profit organization. The highlights also on my LinkedIn page:
- Startup founder – I have built a website, print products and a forthcoming app based on two years of work in the go-to tech incubator for smart cities (1776dc). I have experience in using the lean startup methodology, as well as service design and design thinking.
- Driverless – I am currently leading a “planning scrum for driverless” to create a 3-4 year road map to get driverless shuttles on local streets.
- Local government experience – in Sarasota County work on energy efficient land use.
- Federal policy innovation – with EPA’s Office of Sustainable Communities and as a consultant with a focus on (1) stormwater & cities, (2) transit oriented development, (3) neighborhood-friendly density, and (4) multi-use infrastructure. I’ve helped constituents and clients navigate shifting policy by focusing on outcomes and leveraging key language to get things done.
- Non-profit – Served as interim Executive Director of the Florida House Institute.
- TEDxArlington: Transportation: The New Era of the Strategic Small Bet
- Woman-owned business – In process of certification (I can be a contract staffer to help enhance business development ).
2016— Mobility Lab Starting the Tough Smart City Conversations
2016— Mobility Lab Mobility Options are Looking Different—Sidewalks Should Too
2015— Mobility Lab Uber’s New Wave of Urban Design—Are Cities Ready?
2015— StrongTowns, Transportation’s Missing Middle
2014— StrongTowns, Lean & Agile Procurement: Maximizing Taxpayer Investment
2011— Planetizen “A Little More Complete – Making Way for Neighborhood Electric Vehicles”
2009— Stormwater “Zoning Code Audits – from the Watershed’s Point of View.”
2007— Planetizen & Landscape Architecture magazine, “A Browner Shade of Green.”
2016—Game Design & Game Hacks for Design & Engagement: Transportation Camp
2016—Flexible Transportation + Land Use = New Transit Oriented Development, World Bank/World Resources Institute
2014— Shared Stormwater Systems as Economic Incentives, American Planning Assn.
2013— Planning for Dense Infill and Redevelopment, New Partners for Smart Growth
2012— SRQ Assets, marketing presentation for asset mapping
2011— Sarasota Workshop “Recharging the Economy, Sarasota’s NEV Cluster”