Favorite Pinterest Pins of 2014: the GreaterPlaces Mix Tape
We love the visuals and quick navigation of Pinterest and plan to add similar functionality throughout 2015. In the meantime, here are some of our favorite Pins and links:
1) People for Bikes: 14 Ways to Make Bike Lanes Better – a poster showing 14 bike lane practices and a rating for various performance metrics such as cost and aesthetics (this image shows the first two).
2) Capstone Presentation: Los Angeles street cross section and Department leads – Huma Husain from UCLA’s Luskin School of Public Affairs produced a graphic that not only depicts the numerous components of the public right-of-way, but also which Departments/Agencies oversee installation and maintenance.
3) Mapping Mississippi Avenue in Portland – the Historic Mississippi Avenue Business Association produced this gorgeous map showing businesses and amenities along Mississippi Avenue. It is a strikingly beautiful map.
4) Street Furniture – Dutch design company Yalp created the Fono, the world’s first outdoor DJ booth (noise ordinances be damned!). Talk about Mix Tape.
5) Economic transition – Jan Gehl’s great poster showing how to reintroduce commerce to struggling urban areas.
6) Better Signs – A frustrated graphic designer created simple parking signs showing when drivers can park on a street and when they could not.
7) Random – Post It note art show from Giant Robot in LA. We use LOTS of post it notes in planning, so this is a variation on the theme.