Street Design – Using Streetmix to Learn the Basics of Streets, Sidewalks & Buildings
Streetmix is a free online tool to help communities understand the components of streets, sidewalks and the interface with private buildings. Streetmix allows users to increase/decrease the dimension of street components such as vehicle lanes, on-street parking, bike lanes and building heights. The site allows imperial and metric units.
Audiences and Venues:
- Cities can use with citizens in considering updates to transportation and comprehensive plans
- Real estate developers can use in public meetings and when sketching concepts with architects.
- Professionals can use as a sketch tool in scoping out street and sidewalk dimensions.
Sample Learning Objectives
- become familiar of allocated uses within the street and sidewalk rights-of-way
- understand the competition among modes
- define design options that can be considered.