TEDxArlington talk – Strategic Transportation Bets
On October 3, Lisa Nisenson gave a talk on the new era of transportation investment (spoiler: it’s not good) and how to actually succeed.
TED talks are 18 minutes (a big ask on time) so here is a cheat sheet:
Arlington & Bold Leadership (0:20) But then 2014 happened (1:04)
- Controversial dog park, aquatic center and bus stop
Why Small is the new Big – Era of strategic, small bets (2:00)
- Political climate, low trust in government to pull off big transportation projects, demographics.
Small is not such a bad thing -Lean, Customer Development & working towards a better big – (3:30)
1) Big Picture – a big transportation goal & the future of work/jobs in the region (5:45)
- People actually support a larger regional network
- The future of job relies on networking and talking to customers. The commute is no longer Point A to Point B, but half the alphabet in a day.
- The cities/regions that figure out the nodes and connections among nodes win the economy.
2) Three Strategic bets for Transportation in Arlington (7:22)
(i) Bikes 2.0 (7:33)
- Need to reframe bikes as economic engine
- Every dollar saved on a trip is money that can be allocated to housing, child care, classes, craft beer
- Bike Trail Oriented TOD
(ii) Technology & planning (9:10)
- Shared rides offer new kind of microtransit
- However – without planning – these services will compete with public transit for space to pick up and discharge passengers
- Big opportunities for Lee Highway & the Pike
(iii) Driverless (11:00)
- Right now focus is cars; if that’s all we get we lose opportunities for placemaking dividend
- Need leadership in prioritizing driverless transit
- Can offer opportunity for Crystal City, Lee Highway and Columbia Pike
3) The Arlington Way How its broken & how we can fix it (12:55)
(i) Get experimental (13:15)
(ii) Take it to the streets (15:44)
4) Call to Action (17:45)
- Urgent but exciting need to start regional conversation
ALL the talks are a perfect portrait of Arlington – www.tedxarlington.com